In the past, hair gel was synonymous with spiked hair. Modern products have come a long way from the stiff, sticky, flaky versions of the past but gel is still out of favor for spiked dos.
The current product of choice is waxes and pomades. They offer the same hold and are also versatile, pliable, and are easier to wash out. Even better, you’re not limited to just spikes. Wax and pomades can be used to style any look, from slick to messy, or just keep hair in place.
1. Gatsby Moving Rubber Hair Wax
This Japanese product line is one of the top brands for creative and spiky hairstyles. Created with the goal of making any hairstyle a reality, the formula combines maximum hold and moveable texture that can be reshaped at any time. This is absolutely the best choice for coarse Asian hair or anyone with unmanageable thick hair.
The most popular formula is Spiky Edge, with maximum hold and minimum shine. It works for short hair but can also be used to style longer hair into liberty spikes, a mohawk, or any vertical hairstyle. Air Rise is formulated for medium length and longer hair and adds volume in addition to hold. If you’re looking for shine without the gloss, opt for Wild Shake.
2. TIGI Bedhead for Men
A brand to suit most hair needs, Bed Head has several options just for men. Matte Separation Wax Best Products for Spiky Hair is one of the top sellers, featuring with plenty of hold and definition with a natural matte finish. Beeswax and glycerin add style and moisture, preventing drying or flaking. This product also holds up in hot and humid weather.
Another pliable option that can be reformed throughout the day is the Bed Head Hair Wax Stick. The lightweight formula leaves no build-up and washes out easily, make it suitable for thin and fine hair. In addition to the semi-matte finish, the hint of lavender appeals to some but is a deal breaker for others.
3. Star Wax Premium Pomade
Star Wax is known for strong hold and water-soluble products that are pliable and rinse out easily. The blend of oils and herbs have a stimulating and designer fragrance. The thickest formula with the most hold is Crystal with all the shine of the original. For a matte finish with the same strong hold, there is the Star Wax Clay formula.
All of these products work for all types of straight hair, from fine to thick. For men with thick, coarse hair – if these products aren’t working for you the problem could be your haircut. Thinning out hair with some layering will make those spiked looks achievable.
How to Style Spiky Hair with Wax or Pomade
1. Place a pea-sized dab of product on the palm of one hand. Rub hands together, spreading the product evenly across the palms and between fingers until it is heated up and transparent.
2. Work the wax into hair, starting from the nape of the neck and moving up to the forehead.
3. Using fingers, work hair up. Use a comb for a precise finish or twist strands of hair between fingers for a textured look.
4. If necessary, add more wax. Always start with a small amount of wax, adding more in stages. Over-application will create greasy, chunky hair.
5. Finally, make sure to seal the jar tightly. These products dry out quickly when exposed to air.